Q: My nanny got hurt in a car accident while picking up my kids from school. She can’t work for 2 weeks and her medical bills were about $2,000. What should we do?

A: Because she was driving as part of her job duties, this falls under your workers’ compensation insurance policy. Workers’ comp assists with lost wages and medical expenses in the event of work-related injury or illness – and if she’s driving on the job, the car is just an extension of the workplace.

By carrying a workers’ comp policy, you have met your legal obligations. Your employee needs to file a workers’ comp claim. The insurance company will provide benefits to your nanny in a timely manner, freeing you up to hire a temporary replacement.

If you have any questions or problems, the California Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) can be reached at 1-800-736-7401.

Founded in 1992 – by household employers for household employers – HomePay has served over 18,000 families with their no-work, no-worry payroll & tax service. For more information or a free phone consultation compliments of Westside Nannies, call 888-273-3356 or visit www.myhomepay.com.